Eight people were arrested after Brighton and Hove Albion’s Premier League match against Crystal Palace on Saturday, including a woman suspected of carrying a weapon.
The others were arrested on suspicion of offences including bringing a firework into the Amex Stadium, assault and theft.
At around 10am on Saturday, police officers responded to a report of public order offences in the city centre, and a man sustained a minor injury as he was removed from the area. He was taken to Royal Sussex County Hospital and later discharged.
The two clubs are bitter rivals, and violence between fans is common whenever the teams meet.
At the time of writing, the arrests to have been made so far are:
- A 19-year-old man and a 24-year-old man from Croydon, and a 27-year-old man from Westerham in Kent, were arrested in the city centre on suspicion of public order offences.
- 21-year-old man from Croydon was arrested at the Amex Stadium on suspicion of possession of a firework when entering a sporting event.
- A 50-year-old woman from Westerham in Kent was arrested at the Amex Stadium on suspicion of possession of an offensive weapon.
- A 48-year-old man from Bexhill was arrested at the Amex Stadium on suspicion of theft from another person.
- A 29-year-old man from Rustington was arrested at the Amex Stadium on suspicion of common assault.
- A 28-year-old man from Littlehampton was arrested at the Amex Stadium on suspicion of obstructing a police officer in the execution of their duty.
All suspects remain in police custody at this stage.
Featured image: © Sussex Police via Flickr.