Brighton fight back from 3-1 down against Wolves to earn an emphatic 3-3 draw

- Advertisement -

Lewis Dunk completed a stunning second half comeback to earn a point against Wolves in an eventful Premier League encounter at the Amex Stadium.

The Seagulls went against the run of play to take the lead 13 minutes in. Connolly got in front of Wolves keeper Patrício to toe poke Trossard’s cross into the net.

It only took Wolves six minutes to respond to going behind. Romain Saiss sent a looping header past Robert Sanchez after Nelson Semedo had retrieved a corner to the far post.

Wolves dominated the remainder of the first half and piled more misery on Potter’s men.

Dan Burn had a half he will want to forget, started by an own goal. Sanchez pushed Pedro Neto’s shot straight onto Burn who parried it into his own net.

Burn then made a rash challenge in his own penalty area on the pacy Traore. Allowing Neves to convert the penalty, giving the visitors a 3-1 lead going into the second half.

Given Albion’s home form this season, a comeback seemed very unlikely. But, whatever Potter said at half time clearly worked.

Within 50 seconds of the restart Maupay had won and scored a penalty. The Frenchman’s goal was the earliest scored from the penalty spot in the second half of a Premier League game since Opta began recording exact goal timings in 2006-07.

Brighton were a completely different side in the second half, seeing a lot more of the ball and creating the best chances.

It was Dunk who made the difference once again, towering above the Wolves defenders to meet Trossard’s corner. Dunk’s header took a slight deflection, giving the keeper no chance.

- Advertisement -

It was a spirited performance from Brighton and will take some of the criticism away from the manager.

Potter faced a lot of criticism after the 1-0 defeat by Arsenal, he made six changes to his starting line-up, which did not include any recognised strikers.

He also made an interesting tactical decision this game by getting 6ft 7 Burn to mark the dangerous Traore on the left. A decision which cost Burn and Brighton badly in the first half.

Brighton head coach Graham Potter speaking to BBC sport focused on his sides character in the second half:

“It was tough for us at half-time of course because of the scoreline and how the half went.

“You’re looking for a response, you’re looking for character, and I thought we got it.

“The players were amazing, great spirit, great personality and quality. We hit the bar and pushed and pushed.”

Brighton still remain without a win at home in the league and this was their eighth draw of the season.

There were certainly positives to take for Potter, but in order to stay in this division the Seagulls must perform equally in both 45 minutes of a game.

Next up for Brighton is a trip to League 2 Newport for their 3rd round FA cup tie, 10 January, 19:45 kick off.

Brighton Journal Logo White

Stay on the pulse!

Keep up to date with the latest Brighton news and popular articles delivered straight to your inbox

- Advertisement -


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here